Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Our new home

Finally, after six long months of living in a house that didn't meet our family needs, we've found a little paradise just in the middle of the area where my husband works. The search was arduous and sometimes disappointing  because we felt there was no place that could fulfill all the characteristics that we looked for in a house. 

After several weeks, we finally found a condominium - a very nice place of a hundred houses, with private security, and big grass areas where children can play - one of them is just in front of our house. The house is very nicely distributed. It feels so practical and cozy. It is well illuminated and ventilated. There are many details we like, but the two details that I personally love the most are that the laundry room is beside the kitchen, and that the kitchen is open and well communicated with the rest of the living room.  Those might be very trivial, but moms will agree with me that being able to catch a glimpse and know what everyone is doing while one is doing the dishes is invaluable.  Plus, in a single step I'm paying attention to the washing machine and during the rainy season, everything is still dry!


Generally, when we talk about moving, we experiment overwhelming feelings. However, the last week before moving, I felt so much excitement that hardly could I concentrate in our daily routine. The simple fact of visualizing me in that place so nice made me want to speed up time.  I put into practice some of my learning from previous moving. After moving seven times in six years, you do learn good tricks.  I spent most of that week clearing up every drawer and shelf of my house so that I kept only what  was useful and that everything was in its right place. It wasn't that exhausting. During those little times when the kids were sleeping or playing quietly, I cleaned a drawer or shelf and went back to my normal routine. Some days before that, Mario and I discussed the house arrangement and it was so easy for me to visualize what items would be in each piece of furniture or closet, depending of the activities that will be held in each place. 
The day before moving it was very easy to put everything into boxes just following the order of the place where it would go. I did take advantage of my sister's help. When you don't have any clue of how to do things it's very difficult to receive others' help. How can you tell them how to help you out if you have no idea of where to start? As everything was cleared up, it was very easy to tell her: "Put all these into boxes". Before the moving truck arrived, we used that time to clean the new house and finish packing. When the moving boys were unloading everything, we were telling them where to put each item, so everything would reach its definitive place. In previous moving I learned that filling the house with boxes and furniture just piled up consumes lots of future time, besides it's very exhausting trying to put boxes or furniture up or down by oneself. If we have the moving boys here, let's take advantage of them! As soon as we had the boxes in the house, we started to open them and to put everything away. That very night I slept in my house totally installed and the next day, the garbage truck took all the empty boxes.

After a week living here, I have the sensation of being on vacation in a nice hotel next to the beach.   
Every day I wake up happily, full of energy, willing to start the day. The boys go to bed much more exhausted than before, after having exercised a lot outside. I've confirmed that the environment around us has a strong impact over our state of mind. It is true that a mature person has the capacity to act over the circumstances, but I also believe that it is worthy to take pains in favor of an environment that transmits us peace, enthusiasm and motivation to live.

I feel deeply grateful with my husband, who has tried in every moment to make us feel comfortable and happy in our new home. During those days I also had the opportunity to talk with a lady who told me is widow. Last year she lost her husband in a car accident. With tears in her eyes she told me, "It's been so hard, it's like a nightmare, I can't even explain myself"

After that chat, I was reflecting much on our lives and how fragile we are. I thought about my husband and how much I love him and how much our lives are integrated in only one. I thought about all what we share, our strong  friendship, our intimacy, our secrets, our unity, the protection, the love… and I also thought that I don't want to lose him! No one of us has his/her life bought, and each new morning is a gift from God. I cannot decide how long to have him, but I can decide how to live every moment I do have him. I am decided to live each day as if it were the last and to love my husband, my children, my family, my friends, as if it were the last day I'll have them. We don't know how much longer we'll have them, but we do know we have them today and that we have life and strength to love.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment